MARINA'S "SHEPHERDS / COTTAGE PIE"
To be authentic, Shepherds pie is made with ground lamb but pretty much everybody makes it with ground beef (which is officially Cottage Pie).
• 1 pound ground beef
• 2 medium onions (chopped)
• 1 large carrot (chopped or minced)
• 1 ounce oil
• 1/2 teaspoon mixed dried herbs
• 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
• 1 level tablespoon of all purpose flour
• 10 fluid ounces of hot beef stock
• salt & pepper
(some people add a tablespoon or so of tomato paste; I don't)
• 2 pounds of potatoes
• 2 ounces of butter
(You can add cheese if you'd like, though I don't)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Fry the onions in the oil until they are soft.
3. Add beef and fry until no longer pink. Then add carrot and cook for about 10 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper and add the herbs.
5. Stir in the flour, (tomato paste) and the hot beef stock. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes.
6. Make mashed potatoes. Add butter and make sure there are no lumps.
7. Put meat into a well greased baking dish. Top with potatoes and cheese if you’re using it.
8. Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown and crusty.
9. Let it sit for about 10 minutes before eating.