THE OFFICIAL SITE
GIOUVETSI ALA MARINA
This is Michael's favourite dish. It's normally made with orzo pasta but my family prefer spaghetti.
• Leg or shoulder of lamb. (the weight will depend on how many people you're feeding)
• 2 cups of canned Italian tomatoes smashed up
• 1lb spaghetti
• 1/2 cup Greek olive oil (Trader Joe's is great and reasonable)
• 1 Lamb boullion cube (if you can't find lamb, use beef)
• Salt and pepper
1. Largest Pyrex baking dish you can find.
2. Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
3. Melt the cube in 1 cup of water. Put in Baking dish. Add tomatoes.
4. Season lamb and put it in dish and drizzle with oil.
5. Cover with aluminum foil and seal.
6. Cook for 20 minutes then turn the oven down to 325.
I can't give you a time for cooking as that will depend on the weight of the lamb but in my opinion you can't cook it for too long.
7. Take it out and turn it over about every 45 minutes. It's ready when it just falls off the bone.
8. Remove the lamb and wrap it in the foil to keep warm.
9. Pour enough hot water in the baking dish so that it's about 2/3 full. Put it back in the oven. Turn heat up to 450
10. When the water is bubbling, carefully add the spaghetti.
11. Cook until the pasta is to your taste stirring occasionally to stop it sticking.
(I like my pasta soft so that's about 40 minutes)
Michael likes Parmesan on his pasta, I don't.